After taking the girls for another spin around the ice yesterday, and then running them through the rain on the way home, it was time to bake up some cookies.
I wanted to try some healthy substitutes I've been reading about. I tried Oat Flour in the place of some of the Wheat Flour I've been using...it's supposed to have a little less bite to it. The other substitute was one I wasn't sure would work at all. Substituting ground flaxseed for butter (or other shortening).
After sampling four of them to make sure they were fit for consumption, Jeff gave his seal of approval. I gave them a try and found them to be crispy on the outside and brownie-like-chewy on the inside...not "healthy" tasting at all. The kids gobbled them up too, so...I think they pass the test. If you'd like to try 'em for yourself...here's the recipe:
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
(that might actually be a little good for you)
1 cup King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour
1 ¼ cup Oat Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter, softened
1 ¼ cup ground flaxseed
1 cup granulated sugar (you could try a sugar substitute here...I did not)
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl stir together flours, salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl stir together butter, ground flaxseed, sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets and bake about 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.
0 comments:
Post a Comment