Often the most random car rides around here can be memorable. Out of nowhere, the conversation turns interesting.Last night, Sarah shouted, "Jesus is God's Son!". I replied, "Yes, and God sent His Son to be a baby in a manger and save the world...that's why Christmas is so cool." She responds softly, "How did Jesus save the world?" To which I respond, "Well, He died on the cross...." And before I could respond fully, she says..."How did dying save us?" It took her four years to ask the question that took me thirty years. I did my best to answer, "It wasn't the dying so much as the raising from the dead....."
.....but I was soon interrupted by Lauren's statement...."Mom, sometimes when I'm on the
playground, I think about Jesus coming back and there being a new earth." I asked, "Does it make you a little nervous?" To which she replied, "Yes it does." I told her about how I used to get nervous about the same thing because I was afraid Jesus would come before I got to do cool stuff on earth, but now I know it's just not for me to worry about. Afraid my blithering was falling on deaf ears, I then asked her what she was worried about with a new earth. She said, "Well, I'm just afraid that on the new earth...God is going to turn me into an animal." This is just theology above my pay grade...I again, did my best to respond (something about humans being better than animals and how God would not downgrade you in a new earth)...
playground, I think about Jesus coming back and there being a new earth." I asked, "Does it make you a little nervous?" To which she replied, "Yes it does." I told her about how I used to get nervous about the same thing because I was afraid Jesus would come before I got to do cool stuff on earth, but now I know it's just not for me to worry about. Afraid my blithering was falling on deaf ears, I then asked her what she was worried about with a new earth. She said, "Well, I'm just afraid that on the new earth...God is going to turn me into an animal." This is just theology above my pay grade...I again, did my best to respond (something about humans being better than animals and how God would not downgrade you in a new earth)......and then I said a prayer of thanks for pretty sweet kids.
2 comments:
I love the raw honesty of children. How awesome that your children get these principles. I agree it has taken me some time to come to terms with some of these. I think it is why Christ said that we must become as children to enter the kingdom. Praise God for the seeds that you are planting in you little ones. Keep up the good work!
Carolyn,
Sounds like the conversations that we have at our house!:) I always hope and pray that my answers will cause more understanding and less confusion, but I am not sure that is always the case! I know that God will be with both of us as we try to answer those difficult theology questions from our youngsters! Michelle
Post a Comment