27 June 2009

it could've been worse (but not by much...)

Reeds Lake 10K :: This race day turned out to be one unlike any other.

So, the sun rose on another race Saturday. And the sun didn't hide...it stuck around and made things mighty warm from the start. We felt good though and ready to get moving.

First, allow me to preface :: Here is the description of the course on the race website :: "Scenic 10K route around Reeds Lake which is relatively flat with two hills." Now, I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I counted quite a few more than two hills...and one hill had to be counted twice it was so steep.

At the top of the monster hill, I got chilly (in 85 degree heat) and found breathing to be a ridiculous task. We passed half-way and I caved in and walked. It was walk the road or lay on it, so I opted to stay upright. This continued off and on for the rest of the race. Walk 1 minute, run for 8, walk 1, run 8...

I managed to finish in 56:28. About a minute and a half worse than I was hoping for. Whatever. Hot day, grueling course, I'll take it.

Well, it was at that finish when things got interesting. We didn't see Jeff. My folks saw him finish at 47:47 (el senior speedy), but couldn't find him afterwards. To make a very long tale shorter…after ruling out all best case scenarios, we went for worse-case and, sure enough…we found him here ::

There he was...fully wired in the back of an ambulance (that we passed twice while looking for him) and suffering from heat exhaustion/dehydration. After a bag of fluids, he felt better and his stats improved...we got some marching orders from the paramedics and off we went.

My folks held down the fort at the park with the kiddos while all the hulabaloo was happening. The kids had Grandma stand in line for them for an hour to get balloon animals and Grandpa kept them from falling in the lake. (thank you!)



Fun with friends...

So...it was a weird one (a bit nerve-racking to say the least!), and I guess we're just glad we survived and everyone is on the mend. It was good to have family and friends around...that's for sure! Drink your Ovaltine folks (or Gatorade as the case may be) and stay in the shade!

0 comments: